Mechanical Systems Upgrades
Six Reasons for Doing a Mechanical Retrofit:
- Major equipment failure due to deferred maintenance issues.
- Part of a larger energy efficiency overhaul.
- Connection to a proprietary system (such as Trane).
- Code issues such as CFC for chillers being banned. (No R-12 can be purchased anymore. There are still chillers that run on R-12. Other Freon’s are going away as well.)
- Rebates. This is an extremely good time for retrofits because of rebates and grants. As much as 30% of the cost can be offset by rebates and another 30% by grants.
- Going Green - This is not the most fiscally prudent reason or method, but it can be an important one.